Sunday, August 14, 2011

2011 Sweet Spot

When UD brought back Sweet Spot last year I was excited for the college helmets because I collect LSU players. It was hit and miss, but overall a success - so they brought it back in 2011. The main pitfall last year was the supplemental jersey hits were dollar bin bound no matter the player almost. The main hits were generally great and the NCAA variation was the only card I did not like.

Price Paid: $98.95
Sale Value (on ebay): $55.00 (week after release)

Design: The base are excellent and resemble a less desirable 2011 Upper Deck. Of course, we all know what to expect from the helmet cards and they do live up to the hype. I happen to enjoy these cards and the two I got were cleanly designed and highly desirable for a college collector. The variations this year are a success as well. Last year, the lower prints were a generic NCAA helmet, but now we have two versions of the same team's helmet which makes the collector have more options. Also, the base cards have auto variations that replace last year's swatches. This is a major upgrade as they provide four hits people will generally want. Booklet cards are also included which are aesthetically pleasing as well. The only complaint I have is that the one insert is awful. I would avoid the Scouting Report cards...really, who wants to see Mortensen or McShay on their card? 4.5/5

Checklist: As I stated before the base auto list helped the product tremendously. After seeing multiple breaks last year it was very predictable and the same players were coming out over and over. 2011 brings unpredictability because the checklist is very deep. The veteran helmet list is enormous and has rare names included. It really delivers for just about anyone and everyone. 5/5

Fun: Similarly to last year we get four tins with four packs with at least one hit in each. You can open them all and have the Sweet Spots for last or just break them in order. At the price, the risk is not incredibly high so you shouldn't be panicking if you have no huge hits. However, the huge hits are in there and that makes it more fun. 4/5

What I got:
Daniel Thomas Base Auto
Ryan Whalen Base Auto
Jonathan Baldwin Sweet Spot Auto
Kelvin Sheppard Sweet Spot Auto
Photobucket
Photobucket

Overall/Value: Unfortunately, the value is standard unless you get a big hit. Minus 20-40 is probably the norm, but one big hit could put you over the top as well. Singles are probably the way to go, but I would not discourage anyone from trying it out, either. 3.5/5

My Break/Tilt: The players I got all have potential and I got a PC hit. I love the look of the cards and I would probably give it another shot if I had the money. 4.5/5

Overall: 21.5/25 B

No comments:

Post a Comment