Sunday, July 10, 2011

2011 Panini Prestige

Prestige is one of the early sets that I usually don't get overly excited about. Elite and Rising Rookies both disappointed me, so this would be a great year for Prestige to excel. I will be comparing this to Rising Rookies as they seem to be direct rivals.

Price Paid: $77.90
Sale Value (on ebay): $47.00

Design: Like every other product this year besides Press Pass, the base design is simple and easy on the eyes. Again, they are not really collectible and I will just be keeping my favorite team set. The designs that I did not like are the Stars of the NFL, NFL Draft, NFL Passport, and base rookies. Minus the Stars inserts, there is a trend there. All of the rookie cards were too busy or too boring or the photography was oddly close to the subject. It seems as if laziness took over and they threw in the towel because they had no NCAA license. However, they HAVE AN NFL LICENSE AND SHOULD HAVE USED IT. The team name is there, but they needed to use some creativity to make the cards more collectible. Again, I don't want the Cam Newton base rookie and that is a problem. 3/5

Checklist: I always enjoy the extra points parallels as they make the base cards more fun to collect. The sp rookie cards would be fun to go after too if they weren't so ugly. On first glance it is what I expected with most of the rookies I am interested in represented, but on a closer look I saw one auto I wanted was numbered to /1499 and he is an undrafted free agent! How horrible it must be to pull that card because we all know it is relatively worthless. Fortunately, I got further down the list and was pleased with the veteran cards and I really actually like the way most of these cards look. My favorites are the Collegiate Letterman, Patch Autographs and the Preferred sets. 4/5

Fun: With the standard 24 packs/8 cards with 4 hits it is always fun and risky at the same time. We know two of the hits will be dollar bin material. What could have set this apart is having rookie cards that I didn't treat like base. The extra points are fun and overall it was an average break on the fun scale. 3.5/5

What I got:
Akeem Ayers Red /100
Nick Fairley Blue /999
Jimmy Smith Red /100
Julio Jones Blue /999
Terrence Toliver Gold /250
Robert Quinn Blue /999
Aldon Smith Rc Sp
Sam Bradford Rookie Review Jersey
Dion Lewis Auto /599
Kendall Hunter NFL Draft Auto
CJ Spiller Rookie Review Jersey


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Overall/Value: I really can't complain about my break. I may be in the minority here on the look of the rookies because many of them are still selling well and the SP's are being collected by others. Being minus 30 in a mid-end break really isn't bad. The veteran auto checklist makes this product worth the risk and better than elite and rising rookies. 4/5

My Break/Tilt: When all was said and done I was happy with my cards. I didn't get big name hits and still didn't lose too much. The big negative is the rookie design and I will probably end up selling off almost every card I got here. 3/5

Overall: 17.5/25 D

No comments:

Post a Comment