Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2011 Press Pass Legends

It looks like Sage and Press Pass are taking a dive after losing their licensing. Legends in the past has been an above average product. I am skeptical this year for obvious reasons if you look at my previous reviews.

Price Paid: $120.99
Sale Value (on ebay): $43.00

Design: The base design is off. It's hard to say what went wrong here. The photoshopped picture has a high brightness and the photograph is in a weird shape with the football field yard marks on the sides. This is pure throwaway base. Really, all of the autographed cards look about the same. They cut off directly halfway through the card and have a giant space for a signature. If the player has a nice autograph these aren't so bad, but if the player has a small autograph or a boring one - these cards look terrible. There's very little to distinguish from All Americans to Saturday Signatures to Legends of the Fall to Past and Present to the base. The Saturday Swatches are a set I always enjoy and they continue to be decent in this set. 2/5

Checklist: Extremely weak for something called "legends". The legends chosen are simply a weak list. There's numbers of guys who rarely sign cards that could make legends products amazing. We get a list of a few guys many people have not heard of and about 8 desirable names of real legends. So basically, we have another rookie product. About 70% of the checklist is made up of a rookies in a product calling itself Legends. WHAT!? 1/5

Fun: I've always liked the mini box format. You get 3 mini boxes with 6 packs each and two hits per mini box. There's also a slew of parallels, but the six hits are the main attraction. At the price you are paying $20 per hit in a Press Pass product full of mostly rookies. I just can't get over that, but this was still a decently fun break. 3/5

What I got:
Paul Krause Auto /99
Greg Salas base auto
Ryan Williams base auto
Terrence Toliver Jersey
Willie Brown base auto
Mikel LeShoure base auto
Photobucket
Photobucket
Overall/Value: I am rarely at a loss. The longer this product sits on the shelf, the more the value will decrease unless the rookie class is great. Even then you will need two HUGE hits to get your money back. I rarely feel robbed because I know collecting is a gamble, but I truly feel like this product is a joke. 1/5

My Break/Tilt: No tilt this time because my break was very poor. I looked at other people's breaks and they generally weren't a whole lot better. This is a shame because I have many Press Pass products in my PC and love the mid/late 2000 cards they were releasing. Heck, I even liked the Bowl Edition from 2008 many people hate. They are going in the wrong direction. 1/5

Overall: 8/25 F- (one of the worst modern products I have opened)

No comments:

Post a Comment